diverse human faces

Get help for someone you know.

It is possible to help a friend or family member who may have an eating disorder.

You can:

Approach someone you’re worried about

Try to encourage the person you are concerned about to talk about how they are feeling. Remember to listen openly and respect what they say.

If the person does not want to talk about their problem or denies they have a problem, you may need to talk to a professional or discuss the issue with someone else who cares for that person.

Learn more about how to talk to someone you are worried about.

Talk to a professional

Professionals can discuss your concerns with you and help you decide what steps to take to help someone you care about. Professionals can include GPs, doctors, school counsellors, therapists or teachers.

Speak to someone who cares for the person

You can also consider sharing your concerns with another individual you trust who cares for the person you are worried about. You could talk to a parent, sibling, carer or another friend. 

Call a helpline

Trained professionals can provide you with advice on how to help a friend or family member. 

The ED Hope Line provides phone, email and live chat support. You can speak to them on 1800 ED HOPE (1800 33 4673).

Recognising There’s Something Wrong